Monday, November 23, 2009

Danielle G.Collaborative writing using wikis


Before entering this class I had no idea what a Wikis was or what it was used for. So when I found I had to completely understand all about Wiki I got a little nervous. I began my research and found that Wikis can be used for many things. Basically, Wiki is a a form of a blog and is used to connect people all around the world, kinda like Facebook. The one thing that I found to be interesting is that Wikis need to be updated frequently and requires a lot of revision. Wikis are used to create collaborative websites, to power community websites and for personal note taking.The most popular Wiki is Wikipedia.
Wiki is a excellent idea when doing collaborative assignments because it allows each member an equal opportunity to add, edit and remove text. Collaborative writing allows for projects that are richer than those produced by a single group member.
Another great website I found that dealt with Wikis was TWiki. This web site is used as an open source enterprise. That means, that like Wikipedia, you can go an edit your own information as the more relevant the topic or discussions becomes. Also, WikiSpace was another great website that was used for major companies, non-profit business and schools.
Overall, Wikis are a great way for people to collaborate and share ideas. They can be used in a number of different ways and are a great tool for anyone looking to learn more about a topic or willing to share ideas of their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnL00TdmLY


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq6VO0XHNAo

Sources:
http://www.youtube.com/

http://lonewolflibrarian.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/wiki1.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Your post was very brief but to the point. I didnt know what wikis were before reading your post but I am well aware now. I also liked how you included videos along with your post. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you provided a good explanation of what wikis are. It was concise, easy to read, and you have good examples. Also, the links you provided helps to create your credibility in the topic. I think you did a good job and it was interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had no idea what a Wiki was. Your post did a great job explaining all the aspects of Wiki. There were a few grammatical errors so another read through and edit might be a good idea. Also your title says "writting" instead of "writing". The links were a great touch and overall it was very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete